2014 Annual Meeting & 25th Anniversary Celebration
Sandy Spring Friends School – Sandy Spring, Maryland
DATES: Friday April 4, 2014 to Sunday, April 6, 2014
COST: $30 / person – includes accomodations and food
RSVP: Wednesday March 26 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Accommodations for this years’ gathering will be at Sandy Spring Friends School (SSFS). Most of the students will be home on Spring Break, but there will be a few students who will be at the school when we are there.
Be advised, the campus is intended ONLY for walking. We will be parking some distance from our barracks.
Fees are due and payable when you arrive at SSFS, checks (cheques) payable to FCS. Each person attending will be required to sign a copy of SSFS ‘Hold Harmless Agreement’ when you arrive.
- The men will be sleeping in the MPRoom on the floor with wrestling mats, while the ladies will be sleeping in an office area also on wrestling mats. Please bring your own sleeping bag & pillow*. If sleeping on a mat on the floor is an issue, please let Luanne know this ASAP!
- We will have use of the locker room and showers – 10 yards down the hall
- We will be eating in the school’s cafeteria (this is a ‘leisurely’ 10 minute walk from where we are sleeping) with the students that are there – which means we won’t be cooking ourselves. This is cafeteria style, all you can eat and Jim says they have a really nice salad bar. We will be eating the following meals there:
- Friday – Dinner
- Saturday – Brunch & Dinner
- Sunday – Brunch
- Special dietary needs? Let Luanne know when you RSVP! And we’ll see what can be done to accommodate.
- Meeting space will be in the Library in an adjacent building
- Wifi is available
- Projectors & screens are available
- Friends will be sharing pictures from the 2013 Jamboree and other activities
- Worship Sunday morning will be with Sandy Spring Friends Meeting
- Worship begins at 9:00am
- This is a 2 mile walk through the woods to the historic Sandy Spring Friends Meeting House, passing the “actual” Sandy Spring on the way.
- Expect to be “hosted” – it is First First day, and Meeting with a Concern for Business at 10:30am (we don’t have to stay for that).
- Possibilities for diversion: Aside from the usual historic and touristy stuff around Washington DC, we will be within walking distance of the famous Adventure Park (COPE course in the trees!), the Underground Railroad Experience Trail (guided history ), the Sandy Spring Museum (very nice local Quaker history) and a couple of good restaurants (live music in the evenings!).
- Arrangements have been made with Sandy Spring Friends School that those who need to stay over Sunday night may do so for an additional $10/person – which will include Sunday dinner and Monday breakfast. Please let Luanne know this when you RSVP.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Sleeping bag & pillow * toiletries
- Clothes/including sleepwear towels & washcloth
- Layers – for unexpected weather (hot/cold/rain)
- Flashlight (?)
- Check for $30 (payable to FCS) covers food & lodging ($40 if staying Sunday
- Check for $15 (payable to FCS) for 2014 Annual Dues
- Scout uniform – BSA/Class A, aka dress uniform (we will wear our uniforms
- for business meeting Saturday morning and for Sunday morning worship)
We can arrange pick up from Reagan National Airport
(Washington DC), Thurgood Marshall Baltimore-Washington International
Airport (near to Baltimore), or , if you insist, Dulles International Airport (but
that is the furthest from our site). See link below for driving directions.
* For those who will be flying in please let Luanne know if you will need a
sleeping bag, pillow, towels, etc. There will be a very limited number of
these items for those who are flying.